Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Land still to be taken

Joshua is such an interesting character.  Apparently the Bible thinks so too, because he is only of the only people to have an entire book dedicated to him.  He studied and served under Moses, one of the most legendary pillars of our faith.  He was one of the only Israelites from his generation to survive to see the Promised Land.  It was under his leadership that such incredible miracles such as the sun standing still at Gilgal occurred.  He was undeniably a great man of God, and I'm sure that we can learn a lot from him.

But I wonder, sometimes, if Joshua ever got tired of being such a great leader.  I wonder if he was ever exhausted of following God, and really just wanted to curl up in a corner and rest for a few months.  In Joshua 13, the chapter starts off with this sentence: "When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the Lord said to him, 'You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.'"

When I read this, I kind of giggled to myself.  I wonder if Joshua heaved a sign of frustration upon hearing these words.  Keep in mind, that he had already been leading the Israelites and fighting their enemies for many years at this point.  I wonder if he said to himself, "Lord, there's more??  How many years do I have to be doing this??  How many more people must be conquered, how many more lands must still be taken?"

I don't know if he did this.  But I can easily imagine him doing it, mostly because it's so easy to picture myself doing the same thing.  So often, I ask myself, "Lord, there's more??  Why do I have to help more people, serve those who need it more, obey your word more?  I've been a good, church-going girl all my life; I tithe, I don't swear or drink, I help out people when I can and it doesn't inconvenience me too much; haven't I done enough??  Why do I always have to be doing more??"

But that's a life of mediocrity, of acceptance of the status quo.  God has not called us to mediocrity, but rather to extraordinary excellence.  Excellence in our jobs, excellence in our personal lives, excellence in our hobbies, excellence in our relationships.  He has called us to that because He is the best, and so He requires nothing less of His people.  There are always ways to improve, because the Standard that we are seeking to emulate is Perfection.

That may sound like an overwhelming, impossible task.  But take heart.  If He was faithful with Joshua, He will be faithful to you.  He did not include the story of Joshua in the Bible simply to make us jealous about a standard of Christianity that we could never possibly hope to achieve.  He included it to encourage us, to remind us that nothing is impossible with God.  So cheer up, and whenever you get discouraged, just remember....there is always land still to be taken.


Joshua 13:1-7
When Joshua had grown old, the Lord said to him, “You are now very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.2 “This is the land that remains: all the regions of the Philistines and Geshurites, 3 from the Shihor River on the east of Egypt to the territory of Ekron on the north, all of it counted as Canaanite though held by the five Philistine rulers in Gaza, Ashdod, Ashkelon, Gath and Ekron; the territory of the Avvites 4 on the south; all the land of the Canaanites, from Arah of the Sidonians as far as Aphek and the border of the Amorites; 5 the area of Byblos; and all Lebanon to the east, from Baal Gad below Mount Hermon to Lebo Hamath.6 “As for all the inhabitants of the mountain regions from Lebanon to Misrephoth Maim, that is, all the Sidonians, I myself will drive them out before the Israelites. Be sure to allocate this land to Israel for an inheritance, as I have instructed you, 7 and divide it as an inheritance among the nine tribes and half of the tribe of Manasseh.”

No comments:

Post a Comment