Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The look of royalty

When I was younger, I was obsessed with the stories of Sherlock Holmes, the great detective. His powers of deduction and ability to infer so much from just the smallest things always fascinated me.  I could spend hours and hours reading about his marvelous exploits.  I especially enjoyed how he was able to tell so much about people from their appearance.

He could tell a governess from the small blot of ink that her mischievous charge had splattered behind her ear, or a widow from the tiny band of paler skin on her left ring finger from where her wedding band used to lie.  He could tell a war veteran by his slight limp, or a writer from the smudge of ink on the palm of his hand.  His powers of observation and deduction were truly remarkable, and always left me fascinated and entranced, regardless of the fact that they were fictional accounts.

Ever since reading the tales of Sherlock Holmes, I have started analyzing people myself, trying to figure out what I can about them.  Usually my observance leads to more questions than answers, but every now and then I make a successful deduction.  I can, for example, generally pick a dancer out of a crowd by the way they walk, or a cook by the way they analyze ingredients before purchasing.

I wonder, then, what it is that sets us as Christians apart?  How would Sherlock Holmes, if he were analyzing us, be able to tell that we are children of the Most High God?  The Bible calls us children of God, joint heirs in His kindgom.  But we are not "royal" in the traditional sense of the word.

Instead of walking proudly, God has called us to love sacrificially.  Rather than dressing in purple and fine linen, like the kings of Biblical times did, God asks us to clothe ourselves in humility.  In lieu of being served, He has called us to serve.  This is our gift.  He has made us joint-heirs with Him, and that legacy of humility and service is our glorious inheritance in Him.  So when you look at your life, when others observe your actions in your day-to-day, ask yourself....do you have the look of royalty about you?


Ephesians 3:2-13
2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. 6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. 10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11 according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. 13 I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment