Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Monday, November 19, 2012

Community

I've started going to a new church since moving back to America.  One of the things that they really emphasize is the importance of community.  But not just community, in the sense of having lots of big church potlucks or tailgates or outings around town.  They stress Biblical community - a large group of believers gathering to worship, smaller groups of believers gathering together for encouragement and comfort, and even smaller discipleship groups, where you really get down to the nitty gritty details of spiritual growth and accountability.

I've never known community like this before.  The kind of community where people call each other up and pray with them on the phone on a regular basis.  The kind of community in which it's a rare week, indeed, when an unexpected meeting of believers and subsequent spontaneous worship of the Lord does not happen.  The kind of community that doesn't see it as unusual to have people encouraging and keeping each other accountable, but rather as the rule.

We are meant to be in communities that encourage us.  But what does that mean?  Merriam Webster defines encouragement as "giving help or inspiration" to another person.  But God intends it to be so much more than that.  The Greek word for encouragement is symparakaleo, which means "to call upon or exhort and the same time or together; to strengthen or comfort with others."  Sure, helping other people out is a part of encouraging them.  But Biblical, Christian encouragement is meant to be much more than that.  It's a vibrant give and take, an active expression of Christ's love in a tangible way to the people in your life.

It's important to remember, too, that it goes both ways.  God does not expect you to always be giving, always be strong, always be encouraging, without ever needing to be on the receiving end.  Encouragement means to exhort together, at the same time.  It means to keep each other accountable, to be honest and open with each, to admit to your flaws, and to be loved in spite of them.  That's true community.  That's Biblical community.  Is that what your life looks like?

Romans 1:8-12
8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9 God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you. 11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment