Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Our gift

I inherited a Bible study this week.  The previous leader of the group left the country, and so I was left to pick up the reins and carry on where he left off.  His departure was not unexpected - his contract had ended, and it was time to move on.  Such is the case with "gap year" teaching jobs in South Korea - nobody comes expecting to stay forever (although a few end up doing just that), and nobody is surprised when you leave.

But nonetheless, I am now in charge of a Bible study which I haven't a clue how to lead.  It's one thing to write my own personal thoughts down every day.  People can choose to read them, people can choose to ignore them, and either way it doesn't really have any impact on me.  But leading a Bible study is different.  I'm responsible for not only my own personal growth, but the growth of others, as well.  It's a big responsibility, and I'm feeling grossly unequal to the task.

But the Lord reminded me today, that it's not really my job to make them grow.  I have to nurture my own relationship with Him, and it's the Holy Spirit's job to speak to their hearts and to help them grow, as well.  I'm just one of the voices He chooses to use to speak through.  We have all been given a priceless gift, a gift to edify ourselves and to share with each other, the gift of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit working through us is what cleanses us, what softens our hearts, and what prepares us to become humble, useable vessels for His kingdom.

Don't hide that gift inside of you.  Let it out.  Let others see it.  Let it nurture your spirit, and edify the souls' of those around you.  Don't kid yourself - only God can change someone's heart, can grow someone's faith.  But wouldn't it be great if He used you to do it?

Acts 1:4-84 
On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment