Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Thursday, March 15, 2012

A people of unclean lips

Did you ever have heros when you were young?  People whom you you idolized, who you looked up to and almost worshipped because of how wonderful you thought they were?  We all have people like that, people for whom we would do almost anything to be in the presence of and have a conversation with.

Few of us, however, actually get to have that opportunity.  I, however, did get the rare chance to meet one of my idols when I was younger.  I remember standing there talking with her, being completely awestruck with who she was and what she had done.  I was so blown away, that I could hardly think of the words to say.  It was inspiring and humbling to be able to talk to someone who I admired so much.

That's what we should feel like when we talk to God - except on a much bigger scale.  Yesterday, in Revelation, we read about John's vision of the throne of Heaven.  But Isaiah, also, was given a vision of God's throne, and his account gives a much more personal revelation of the thoughts and emotions that were going through his mind as he approached the throne of God.  "Woe to me!" he cries, "for I am a man of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the LORD Almighty."

Isaiah understood the gravity, the enormity, of a mere mortal being allowed to talk to the Almighty God.  Standing in front of the LORD, he realized just how unclean and insignificant he really was.  He should not have been allowed to be in the presence of such holiness.

But he was allowed, anyway.  The LORD cleansed Isaiah, and allowed him to approach the throne of the most high God uninhibited.  He has done the same for you and I.  Can you imagine?  The creator of the universe, of things as huge as the galaxies and as intricate as a strand of DNA, the Alpha and Omega, the one who exists outside of even time itself....he wants us to talk to Him.  He has paid the price and purified us so that we can do just that.  I don't know about you, but to me that seems like something worth celebrating.


Isaiah 6:1-7
1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
   “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
   the whole earth is full of his glory.”
 4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
 5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”
 6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. 7 With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.”

No comments:

Post a Comment