Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Monday, March 28, 2011

Are you on God's side?

It's amazing the things that happen when we are on God's side.  Notice that I made a point to NOT say when God is on our side.  God is always on our side.  Ever since I came back from Spain, I have felt distant - from God, from my church, from my friends, and from my family.  What I've been learning recently is that if things aren't right with God, things will be right with little else.  And if they are right with God, well, little else will matter.

This morning was the first time in a long time that I went to church without being acutely aware that I was going by myself, and would most likely sit by myself, and would probably not have any deep conversations with anyone while I was there.  So here's the cool thing: none of those things happened.  Several people in my Sunday school class came up and talked to me and asked me how I was doing - how were my parents, how's school going, if there was anything they could pray for me about.  My Sunday school leader sat next to me in class, and a dear couple that I have known since freshman year asked me to sit next to them in "big church."  A college student from Berry invited me to come with her to the youth service after church.  Finally, a woman I didn't even know, Trish, sought me out after the service ended.  She said she had seen me worshiping, and just wanted to come encourage me and thank me for being a "true worshiper," as she put it.

These things may seem small, but to me they were monumental.  Do you know what they said to me?  They said that it's time we stop worrying about ourselves and start living for God.  It's not about us.  This Sunday was the first time in a long time that I went to church with the express and sole purpose of worshiping God - no hidden agendas, no worrying what people think or feeling sorry for myself, just praising God for the works He has done and will do in my life.  I do not think it is a coincidence that this was also the first Sunday since I got back from Spain that I felt at home, welcomed, accepted, and completely loved.  God wants us to fall in love with Him.  He is waiting for us with open arms.  We don't have to clean up our act, get things right with our friends and family, have stable finances, or anything else before we come to Him.  He just wants us - when we are His, then everything else will fall into place.

The verse for today comes from Psalm chapter 15.  It may seem a little out of place for this blog, but I think it's perfect.  When we submerse ourselves in God, we will become submersed in His likeness.  And it is only then, that we will "never be shaken."  I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to becoming unshakeable.

Psalm 15
 1 LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent? Who may live on your holy mountain?
 2 The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person but honors those who fear the LORD; who keeps an oath even when it hurts, and does not change their mind; 5 who lends money to the poor without interest; who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.  Whoever does these things will never be shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment