Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why does God always come out of nowhere?

When I was in high school I had my whole life planned out for myself.  When I started college the plan had changed, but a definite plan still existed.  Now, almost on the flip side of college, I look back (and forward) and realize that I have no idea where my life is going.  Not only that, but the things that have have been most influential and most shaped my life I would have never predicted in a million years.  Going to Berry College.  My trip to Costa Rica.  My internships at Shaw at GSU.  I have grown so much these past few years, and the path of my life has changed so drastically.  I am so grateful that at least God knows my future, because sometimes I'm hopelessly confused.

Like now.  Adults weren't kidding when they said that graduating is scary.  I'm blessed enough to be able to say that my problem is not a lack of options, but rather a plethora of them.  Proverbs 19:21 is only too true - it says, "many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."  I have too many opportunities, and cannot choose between them.  And two of them, a summer internship and a job in Philadelphia, have really come out of nowhere within the past week.  I would never have even considered them before; but remembering how God has a habit of sending me opportunities from left field, I have to give pause and consider them a little more closely.  One of them is an internship with a church in Boston over the summer, mentoring middle-school aged girls.  I've never felt called to enter the Ministry, and would never have sought this out on my own.  But I DO love people, and I DO feel called to do big things for God, things that are out of my comfort zone.  Another one is a public policy job in Philadelphia - another thing that I would never, ever have pursued on my own.  But it seems to align itself surprisingly well with my passions.  Of course, then I also have Fulbright and GA Tech to think about, too.  With all of these conflicting opportunities and decisions, I'm left kind of floundering and wondering where I'm supposed to go.

It's times like these when I'm especially grateful for the peace and comfort (and direction!) that God's Word offers.  Of course there's the often-quoted Jeremiah 29:11 - "'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'"  But that's not the only source of comfort that can be found in the Bible.  Another one of my personal favorites is Proverbs 3:5-6, which says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."  Proverbs 19:21 says, "Many are the ways of a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."  Romans 8:28 - "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.Psalm 119:105 - "Your Word is a lamo to my feet and a light to my path."  Psalm 71:5 - "For You are my hope, O LORD God; You are my trust from my youth."  Joshua 1:9 - "Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

There are plenty more examples, but this is probably enough for now.  The point is, God is with us.  He knows us, He knows our future, and He loves us more than we could ever imagine.  So pay attention...when something comes your way that you would not have looked for, it may be God's way of telling you that He knows best!  O Lord, I pray that you give me the wisdom to tell the difference between random opportunities and divine intervention.  To You be the glory always....

No comments:

Post a Comment