Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Do crazy things for God

I had a crazy thought pop into my head today while I was in the shower. I had just gotten back from my Bible study (after staying late and talking about anything and everything to the wonderful woman who is leading it), and was thinking about the things I had learned tonight, over the past few weeks and even months. And all of a sudden, this thought popped into my head: "write a blog about it." I took an extra-long shower, trying to erase the thought from my mind, trying to convince myself that it was crazy. I don't even like blogging! I made myself do it while I was in Spain (laurenpfenner.blogspot.com), but that was only because it was the easiest way to tell my family what I was up to, and they were dying to know. But write a blog, all on my own, with no real "reason" to?? It was the topic that especially threw me for a loop. This persistent, annoying voice that wouldn't go away was telling me to write a daily blog about what God is teaching me in my life. I came up with so many excuses. But what will people think? What if I don't have time to write every day? What if I don't learn something every day? What if, what if, what if....but the thought wouldn't go away. I kept thinking of the movie Julie and Julia, in which the character embarks on a year-long blog to chronicle her cooking exploits. She says that if she doesn't have a time limit and an audience to keep her accountable, the blog will never happen. Well, I kept thinking that, as much as I may want to grow in the Lord, if I don't force myself to have daily accountability, I will not grow nearly as much as I could. And so, after hours of trying to argue myself out of this crazy idea of writing a blog every single day, here I am writing a blog. Life's full of surprises, isn't it? :)

So here's my nugget for the day: do crazy things for God. I don't know where this blog will take me. Honestly, I don't know how consistently I will be able to write in it every day. But I do know that this is the first impulsive thing I've done after being nudged by the Spirit in a very long time, and I'm also more excited about God's going to do through this than I have been in a while. And I also know that God is a mysterious God, and often works in ways that are completely unfathomable to us. So just...jump in! If He's asking you to do something crazy, just do it! Trust God, take a deep breath, and make the plunge! God is a God of many things, but He is not one who disappoints.

Please don't misunderstand me: this is not a "pay attention to Lauren" blog. I was accused while writing my last blog of writing it simply because I wanted to be in the limelight...that is not the point of this blog. If no one ever makes a comment on it, never mentions reading it, or never even reads it at all, that's ok with me. This blog is an act of obedience for me. It is a daily worship of the Almighty Lord God, a daily remembrance of how big and wonderful He truly is. But if you'd like to come along with me on the journey, you're more than welcome to do so!

2 comments:

  1. "It is a daily worship of the Almighty Lord God[...]" Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is kind of scary; you're putting yourself out there, being vulnerable. Isn't that what we're called to do? Jesus didn't play it safe, nor did Peter, Paul & countless others down through the ages who left footprints that we try to fill. We'll never know if we can walk on water if we don't step out of the boat.

    ReplyDelete