Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Black and white and shades of gray

It's time for me to make a confession.  I am an incredibly sarcastic person.  That often gets me into trouble, when I use sarcasm with a person who doesn't know me well enough to realize that I'm being sarcastic.  Just last week, in fact, I upset a new Russian friend of mine who misconstrued something that I had said sarcastically in jest.  It was an ugly misunderstanding, and took a while to get smoothed over.

But I have convinced myself that my sarcasm, especially with people who know me well, is perfectly ok, since they all know that I love them.  They know I'm being sarcastic; they know that I don't mean it; so it's ok, right?  Plus, everybody does it; what can be the harm in it??

It seems to me, however, that God has a different perspective.  In Ephesians, He says very clearly to "not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths."  In James, He says that whenever we open our mouths we will either speak blessings or cursings - there is no in between.  There is no middle ground.  In a world of wishy-washy subjectivity and endless shades of gray, God stands out as a decidedly black or white kind of God.

With this binary definition, how do you think God would categorize cutting humor or sarcasm?  Do you think that He would excuse it, knowing that you didn't really mean it that way?  Do you think that He would let it slip, because your friends know that you love them?  Do you think that He would chuckle at the humor behind your cutting words?

Personally, I think not.  Now, I'm not saying that all sarcasm is bad.  There is a place for sideways humor and backhanded comments.  But you have to ask yourself...would you say what you're about to say in the presence of the Almighty God?  Because if you wouldn't, you'd probably better keep your mouth shut.



Ephesians 4:25-32
25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
 29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment