Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lukewarm Christianity

I have heard the term "lukewarm Christians" tossed around so often throughout my years growing up in the church.  It's always used in a negative light, often quoting the verse in Revelation 3, in which God warns that He will spit the lukewarm people out of his mouth.  But I think that, over the years and even decades, many Christians - especially western Christians - have lost sight of just what that term "lukewarm" really means.

Have you ever drank something so disgusting, that you simply could not swallow it?  Something so revolting, that you simply had to spit it out of your mouth?  That's the image that Jesus is giving us.  Being lukewarm disgusts Jesus.  It's revolting.  It repulses Him.

I have found that I often fall prey to the guiles of Satan.  It is so easy to convince myself that I'm doing alright - that, although I may not be as sold out to Jesus I could be, I'm doing much better than most.  Of course there's always room for improvement, but overall I'm doing generally pretty well.

God hates that attitude.  He hates it.  He cannot even bear to tolerate it.  He does not have an attitude of "well, I wish you'd love me more, but it's ok if you can't.  I understand, you're very busy and have other obligations."  God's attitude is one of "I am everything to you, and I demand everything of you.  Anything less than that is revolting to me."  He would rather we not even claim Christianity, not even make an attempt at loving Him, than to do so half-heartedly.

What does this mean?  It means that we value God above our jobs.  Above our spouses and children.  Above our hobbies.  Above our volunteer work.  Above our studies.  Above our friends.  Above everything.  It means that we love the people around us - not just our families, but also even the people whom many would deem "unloveable."  It means that we put loving God and loving others above our finances, above our comfort, above our reputation.  It means that God must become not only a part of our life; God is our life.

It also means that everyone will fail to do this, in one way or another.  We are all human.  We cannot achieve the standard that God has set for us.  But when you do fail, when you see yourself becoming lukewarm or getting stuck in a rut, don't let Satan accuse you or get you down.  The Lord is patient with you, always willing to forgive.  And remember, that He disciplines those He loves.  So when you are rebuked because of your lack of whole-heartedness, rejoice.  God still loves you.  He wants you to have freedom in Him, not bondage in mediocrity.  So pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and begin once again the journey to make Jesus your life - your whole life, not just a piece of it.


Revelation 3:14-18
14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
   These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation.15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.


No comments:

Post a Comment