Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Monday, November 21, 2011

Do you love God?

We are always told how much God loves us.  Growing up in the church, I frequently heard God's extravagant loved touted and talked about.  Even new believers who did not grow up going to church, don't have to be saved for very long before they have been told multiple times how much God loves us.

So the real question, then, is not whether God loves us - that fact has been emphasized and underscored so many times that it is in danger of becoming repetitive or monotonous.  The real question is whether you love God.  Do you really love God....or do you just love Him for what He does for you?

So many people complain to God when things aren't going their way.  They say that God doesn't love them, that He isn't looking out for them.  But God is not a genie in a bottle; He's not a vending machine, where we can just select the blessing that we want and....presto!  Out it comes!

I always wonder how God feels when we start complaining that He doesn't love us.  I picture a child whining to their parents - the people who clothe them, feed them, give them shelter and affection and love and all of those things that children need - I picture that child whining that his parents don't love him because they won't give him an iPod or Xbox or whatever the newest fad happens to be.  Of course his parents love him.  And it must kill them to hear him say that they don't.  I betcha our heavenly Father feels the way way when we accuse Him on not loving us.

The church is full of spiritual gold-diggers, carnal Christians who only think about what God can do for them, not what they can do for God.  And it's true, that God has promised many blessings to those who love Him.  But the key is that He wants us to really love Him first.  Not for what He can do for us.  But simply for who He is.  Because He loved us first, and He deserves our love in return.  God truly loves you and wants to bless you.  But first you have to ask yourself, do you really love God?

Psalm 91:14-16
 14 “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him;
   I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
   I will be with him in trouble,
   I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
   and show him my salvation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment