Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, November 4, 2011

Light

The past few days have been so stressful.  One thing after another after another, in incredibly rapid succession, has happened to me, leaving me dazed and blindsided and completely exhausted.  And it's so easy, when everything is going wrong, to just start complaining and to focus on the negatives things going on in your life.  I must admit, that's what I've caught myself doing on more than one occasion.

But God always seems to be there when I do that, gently reminding me to look for the good that He has given me.  He has called us to be lights in a dark world.  But so often we forget that, and just focus on the darkness.  Logically speaking, I probably have every reason to be upset right now.  But God's ways do not always seem logical to us.  And if I were honest with myself, I know that harboring anger and bitterness will end up hurting no one but myself.  Taking the higher road and being a light is the only positive, helpful option - for everyone involved.

But to light up the dark, that means that you have to actually GO to the dark.  There will be dark, difficult times in your life.  It would be amazing if becoming a Christian meant that all of the bad things disappeared.  But that's not true - just the opposite, in fact.  The key to following the Lord is to learn how to display your light proudly, even when all you want to do is to hide your candle under a bed and sink into the dark oblivion of the world.


Luke 8:16-18
16 “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. 17 For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. 18 Therefore consider carefully how you listen. Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they think they have will be taken from them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment