Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Go to the ant

I had no class today, so I slept in, and it was glorious.  I lazed around the house, didn't even get dressed until lunchtime, and didn't go outside until mid-afternoon.  And I can't lie, it was wonderful.  I haven't slept in in months, and having an entire day with really nothing pressing to do was simply luxery beyond belief.

But I have to admit, the entire day I also had this nagging guilty feeling tugging at the back of my mind.  I couldn't figure out what it was.  I was on top of everything I needed to do, I hadn't forgotten an assignment or appointment...why wasn't I at peace?  I finally realized that it was because of the way that I was spending my day.  As I wrote about on November 7th, how we spend our lives is simply a summation of how we spend our days.  And, as nice as it has been to not do anything today, I would not want this day to be representative of my entire life.  I want to do something of value with my life, not just write emails and walk around the house in my pj's.

Perhaps that is why we are told to imitate the industriousness of the ant.  God knows that one day of laziness can easily turn into a week, a month, or a year, and before we know it we've wasted our entire lives.  Don't waste your life.  Live and use your time in a way that you will not be ashamed of when you look back at what you did in your lifetime.

Proverbs 6:6-11
6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;
   consider its ways and be wise!
7 It has no commander,
   no overseer or ruler,
8 yet it stores its provisions in summer
   and gathers its food at harvest.
 9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
   When will you get up from your sleep?
10 A little sleep, a little slumber,
   a little folding of the hands to rest—
11 and poverty will come on you like a thief
   and scarcity like an armed man.

No comments:

Post a Comment