Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

It can always get better

My Bible is old.  The pages are worn and wrinkled, the margins are scribbled in, and the passages are highlighted and underlined.  I've had it for years, and over those years it's seen quite a bit of use.  I've got sermon notes in there, personal Bible studies, cross-references, and anything else that you can think of.  It's become a great quick-stop resource for finding words of comfort - all I have to do is skim the pages, looking for places where I've made notes or other markings, and I'll most likely eventually find words of truth and comfort that apply to my situation.  It's quite convenient, really.

But my Bible has made me lazy.  I no longer open it looking for new truths, for fresh passages, for undiscovered depths of wisdom within its pages.  I open it, certainly....but I have gotten to the point where I simply look for the things that I have already found.

When I came to America for Christmas, however, I left my Bible in Korea.  It was too heavy to bring with me, so I figured my Kindle edition could suffice while I was in the states.  And not having my own Bible has forced me to really read the scriptures, to really look for the nuggets of truth that God has left for me in His word.  I'm no longer able to simply go back to what He's already teach me - I have to learn more, to learn new things.

God is an immeasurable depth of knowledge and understanding.  He can never be fully comprehended - which is why we can (and should!) spend an entire lifetime getting to know Him.  There is always something new to discover, something exciting to learn.  If we stop learning, we are selling ourselves short, cheapening our relationship with the most creative and profound Being in the universe.  No matter how good your relationship with Him has been so far, it can always get better.  Don't sell yourself - or God - short.  It can always get better.



Psalm 105:3-7
3 Glory in His holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.
4 Look to the LORD and His strength; seek His face always.
5 Remember the wonders He has done,
His miracles, and the judgements He pronounced,
6 You His servants, the descendants of Abraham,
His chosen ones, the children of Jacob.
7 He is the LORD our God;
His judgements are in all the earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment