Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Monday, December 5, 2011

Lights

Christmas lights have started popping up all over the place, even here in Korea.  I can only imagine what it's like in America, where Christmas is celebrated so much more widely than in South Korea.  I love Christmas lights.  I love how they twinkle in the night sky.  I love how they brighten up and bring cheer to dim, dreary rooms.  I love their fire, their vibrancy, their pure life.  There's just something about Christmas lights that's simply magical.

Jesus came to be the light of the world - we have been called to be the same.  The Christmas season illustrates that concept for me particularly well.  Every day, I can see firsthand how God wants us to light up this dark, somber world with joy and hope.  But sometimes our lights go out.  We get complacent, we get nonchalant, we don't care. 

I imagine all of those lovely lights strung up on the rooftops and ceilings and laced around the Christmas trees, with all of their capacity for beauty, sitting cold and black.  It's a sad picture. It's not something that I ever want to be.  So I encourage you, during this season of Advent, when we are remembering Jesus and why He came, to check your light.  Make sure that it hasn't burnt out.  The world needs to see Jesus, and we're the only way they have to do so. 



Isaiah 9:1-3
1 Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress. In the past he humbled the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the future he will honor Galilee of the nations, by the Way of the Sea, beyond the Jordan—  2 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned. 3 You have enlarged the nation
   and increased their joy; they rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest,
as warriors rejoice when dividing the plunder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment