Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The reason for the season

It's winter time, which means the days are getting shorter.  But my days seem to be getting longer.  No matter how much I get done, no matter how productive I am, the to-do lists just keep growing.  I've got finals to give, goodbye presents to purchase, student assessments to write, Christmas shopping to bring back home, church stuff, homestay stuff, volunteer stuff....the list goes on and on.

It's easy to get overwhelmed.  On a good day, I assure myself that God will not give me more than I can handle, and I don't let it stress me out.  But not every day is a good day, and sometimes I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep forever to escape the mounting pressures. 

I think that, during times like these, it's important to remember our blessings....especially during the Christmas season.  Christmas has become one of the biggest causes of stress in the modern American family.  During this season, debt, rates of depression, and suicide rates skyrocket.  Most people find Christmas a source of stress and worry, not of joy and laughter. 

So we need to remember why we celebrate Christmas.  It's not for the presents under the tree.  It's not for the stocking stuffers.  It's not about the wreathes, or the trees, or the decorations, or even the family gatherings and friendly get-togethers.  As much as I enjoy all of those things, that's not the reason for the season. 

The reason for the season is, plain and simple, Jesus.  He gave us a gift so wonderful, so incredible, so unbelievably selfless, that we celebrate Christmas out of pure joy and gratitude for what He first did for us.  At least, that's the idea.  That's why we're supposed to celebrate.  What is your reason for the season?

Luke 1: 30-33
30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”

No comments:

Post a Comment