Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Sunday, December 11, 2011

See His handiwork

I had today all planned out.  I was supposed to wake up at 6:00 am, take the 6:30 train to another city, change clothes and meet up with a friend from school to go to a mutual friend's wedding.  That was what was supposed to happen. 

But today most certainly did not go as planned.  What actually happened was that I ended up waking up at 4:30 instead of 6:00, taking the wrong train, going three hours out of my way before I came to a station from which I could turn around, completely missing the wedding, and traveling a grand total of about 5 hours for what should have been an hour and a half trip.

Needless to say, I was more than a little frustrated.  And I must admit, by noon I was not in the most charitable of moods.  My day had turned into an "I hate Korea" day - one of those days when everything is going wrong, and you find fault that everything that everyone does around you.  Days like that don't happen to me very often, and I justified it to myself this time, saying that I deserved to be annoyed with Korea after the day that I had had.  

But there were things that I missed because I was wallowing in my self-pity.  Like the fact that the reason I had gotten up at 4:30 was to serve orphans by making breakfast for them, and that honestly I had a blast doing it.  Or the fact that, because we rode the wrong train, I got to ride an extra hour with one of my best friends whom I rarely see.  Or the fact that upon my return I was greeted by a Korean family who was genuinely excited to see me, and welcomed me with all the hospitality and love that they could muster. 

Jesus is everywhere, His handiwork in every situation.  But if we're unable to see beyond our own selfish messes and mishaps, how will we ever be able to see Jesus in our midst?



Psalm 119:33-40
33 Teach me, LORD, the way of your decrees,
   that I may follow it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
   and obey it with all my heart.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
   for there I find delight.
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
   and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
   preserve my life according to your word.
38 Fulfill your promise to your servant,
   so that you may be feared.
39 Take away the disgrace I dread,
   for your laws are good.
40 How I long for your precepts!
   In your righteousness preserve my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment