Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Singing off key

I've been singing an inordinate amount of times lately.  I have spent the vast majority of my life avoiding singing in public areas at any cost, and it seems that I'm making up for it now.  I went into town with some students yesterday and sand karaoke, sang with my host family while gathered around a piano today, sang a song at an open mic night last weekend, and have even been leading the worship service at my little church on Sundays. 

I've never liked my voice, which is why I always shied away from the microphone.  It's a source of self-consciousness for me, and I've always preferred to clap along in the background, and to let the "real" singers do their thing.  But I'm starting to realize that it doesn't really matter how well you sing.  Your friends don't care if you sing off-key, and it's certainly not important to God if you don't hit the right notes.

Psalm 100 says to "shout" for joy to the Lord.  I don't know about you, but the last time I heard a chorus of children shouting, it wasn't very melodious.  God doesn't care about our perfect pitch - or lack therefore.  What He cares about is our heart.  He cares that we worship Him with gladness; that we come before Him with joyful songs.  He wants us to enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise.  At the end of the day, what really matters is that our songs are praising the Lord - not that they are on key.  That should be the least of our worries.

Psalm 100
1 Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
 2 Worship the LORD with gladness;
   come before him with joyful songs.
3 Know that the LORD is God.
   It is he who made us, and we are his;
   we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving
   and his courts with praise;
   give thanks to him and praise his name.
5 For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
   his faithfulness continues through all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment