Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Youthful wisdom

Older people are wise.  At least, that's what I'm always told.  And it's true, they sure do have a lot of knowledge.  It was my father who taught me how to change the oil in my car, my mother who taught me how to cook and bake.  My grandparents have hundreds of anecdotal stories about their childhood and adulthood that they have shared with me over the years, and I'm sure many more that I will never hear.  I remember going to nursing homes when I was younger and just listening to the old folks there, while they played Bingo and talked about their experiences during times of war and peace, depression and innovation, sorrow and joy.  

It's true that elderly people have a lot of knowledge, a lot of experiences.  But do they have wisdom?  Experiences I can wait for - I know that they will come with time.  But wisdom?  Wisdom I want now.  Wisdom is what guides your life, what helps you to make the right decisions.  Despite my youth, wisdom is not something that I can afford to wait for.  Every difficult situation, every angry friend or hurting stranger or estranged family member that I encounter makes my soul cry out for wisdom, my spirit scream for direction and guidance. 

The good news is that we don't have to wait until we are old, filled with many mistakes and regrets, to have wisdom.  God can - and wants to - give it to you now.  No matter what your age is.  One of the wisest people I know is several years younger than I.  I have often wondered his secret.  After stumbling across some of his writings today, I think I have it figured out. 

This kid loves God with everything he is.  He puts every last bit of his energy into developing the talents that God has given him and getting to better know his Maker.  First Timothy is such a great encouragement.  It doesn't matter what your age is.  What matters is your heart.  Your devotion to the Lord.  And that's something that anyone can cultivate.  Don't let your youth be an excuse anymore.  Youth should be a sign of passion, not complacency. 


1 Timothy 4:12-16
12 Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14 Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
 15 Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

No comments:

Post a Comment