Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

1,000 gifts

I must confess, I've been having a bit of a pity party lately.  I'm still completely voiceless, I woke up today with a migraine, and I still had to go in and teach four classes.  It only added insult to injury that I actually wanted to teach - I really enjoy it - but I couldn't (couldn't even say hello to my students), so I was forced to show movies all day.  And honestly, it was really, really getting to me.  I felt helpless and invisible.

But then I read an article this afternoon about counting your blessings.  It encouraged its readers to look at their lives and find 1,000 gifts that the Lord has given them.  So I started counting....the first few were easy.  I have a wonderful family, great friends, and amazing opportunities.  But then I started thinking....what about the bad things?  Is it possible that they, in a way, could be considered blessings, too?  I don't believe that God sends hardship into our lives...but I do believe that He uses it to shape us and mold us into the kinds of people that He wants us to be.

So instead of complaining about all of the trials that come into our lives, perhaps we should, like Paul, be grateful for them.  Perhaps they'd be easier to bear if we look at them as a gift, not a curse.  They are, after all, what will make us who we are.  

2 Corinthians 7:4-7
4 I have spoken to you with great frankness; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.
 5 For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. 6 But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, 7 and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment