Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Be still

I am a very active person.  I enjoy keeping my schedule full and busy.  I usually load it up with classes, and volunteering, and work, and extracurricular, and friends, and sports, and anything else I can think of.  There is so much to learn and experience about this wonderful world we live in, and I want to milk my life for everything it's worth.

So periodically, I have to remind myself to slow down.  Constantly going a million miles a minute will make us in danger of missing the forest for the trees.  So many times, the journey really is the most important part of the trip.  But when we are always running, we may not hear His still small voice, whispering to us how very much He loves us.  He wants to teach us; he wants to comfort us; He wants to draw us ever closer to Him.

The following poem by Sarah Arthur is a gentle reminder to us to stop and smell the roses every now and then.  I pray that the Prince of Peace will calm your soul with these words as He did with mine.

Dusk on the shore.  Long shadows melt into gathering darkness,
a warm, cozy gray that smells of sweetgrass and sand and campfire.
The lights across the lake glitter strong and safe;
crickets' rhythm steady by the white birch and tall pine.
Water curls against the sand, whispering against the red dock,
while a sailboat, pale and slender, bobs gently, turning in a slow dance.
The world is still, sleepy.

A man walks there at the end of the road,
past the birch and the red dock along the sand.
His bare feet gently move amid the ebbing ripples.
He is young, and terribly old,
stepping out from the sand He rolled into being with His fingertips.
He walks on the water that He made.
He is the very Prince of this night, the Prince of all peace
that now settles on the water in the air and along the sand.

All nights in His kingdom are so.

John 14:26-27
26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment