Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Complacency

I'm so dead right now.  Just...stuck in a rut.  I feel like I do the same thing over and over again, and there's never any variety.  I get up, have some fermented cabbage (or dried anchovies if I want to mix it up), bike to school (the same route every single day), teach class (the same class over and over and over again), say hello to my students (they ALWAYS answer with, "I'm fine thank you, and you?"), have lunch, lesson plan, write some emails, bike back home, spend some time tutoring my host sister in Spanish, maybe go out for a bit, and then go to sleep.

Life is good, but in danger of becoming monotonous.  What I really need is some excitement, some flavor, some change to spice up my life.  Have you ever been where I am?  Do you ever feel stuck in the same old same old?  It doesn't have to be a bad rut - we can be in a rut because we have accomplished much, and are now content to sit on our laurels, to revel in the fruit of our labor.

The Bible has a word for this.  It's called complacency.  Webster defines complacency as self-satisfied or unconcerned.  That's not what I generally think of when I think of complacency - in my mind, it usually just mean laziness.  But that's not really what it means.  The ancient Romans, who built the most powerful nation in the world at their time, were certainly not lazy.  But it was their complacency, their sense of comfort, that ultimately destroyed them.

Beware of getting complacent, of getting stuck in a rut in your life - whether it be good or bad.  Stay constantly in the Word, praying that He gives you fresh insight every single day.  Complacency, if you give it enough time to take hold in your life, will destroy you.


Proverbs 1:32-33

32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, 
   and the complacency of fools will destroy them; 33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety    and be at ease, without fear of harm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment