Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Amazing Race

I love the Amazing Race.  If you ask me if I'm addicted to television, I could quite honestly say no - I watch it very, very infrequently.  But the Amazing Race?  Yeah, I'm addicted to it.  The reality show is exactly what it sounds like - a race around the world, in which teams have to complete physical and mental activities that reflect the culture of whatever place that they have travelled to.

I've been hooked on the show ever since its very first season.  When I was younger, my whole family would sit down as a family and watch it together.  When I went away to college, we would watch it in our respective cities and simultaneously videochat with each other, so that we could still tell each other our reactions to what was happening on the show.  Even when I started travelling, and watching it live became impossible, I would watch it later on YouTube and then talk about the exciting twists and turns with my family afterwards.  The thrill of the race, the drama and the tension and the intrigue...I love every second of it.  For years, I have wished that I could be on that show, that I could be a part of that race.

But I forgot something very important.  I AM a part of a race, a much bigger race than could ever be conceived for a TV show.  Hebrews 12 says that we are in a race, and that we are called to run it well - with "perseverance."  I'm not a runner, so I can't make that comparison, but watching the Amazing Race reminds me of what running a race really means.  It's long.  It's tough.  It's exhausting.  Sometimes it's stressful.  But it's worth it in the end.  So let me ask you...how's your race going?


Hebrews 12:1-3

 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment