Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, October 14, 2011

The daily grind

Have you ever found it hard to keep doing the same thing, day after day after day?  Ever gotten worn out by repetition?  That's how I feel sometimes - even with writing this blog.  Sure, it's supposed to be a form of worship to the Lord; sure, it's supposed to be a good thing to commune and spend time with Him every day.  But let's face it - I'm just as human as the rest of you.  There's nothing super-spiritual about me.  And while sometimes, it's wonderful and lots of fun and I love doing it, sometimes it feels more like a chore than a blessing.  Sometimes I would rather do almost anything else in the world than to sit down and read my Bible.

But it's those times when it's hard, those times when I don't want to do it, that's it's all the more important to actually do it anyway.  God doesn't say that the life of a Christian would be easy.  In fact, He says just the opposite.  The gospel of Luke says that we must take up our cross daily and follow Him.  Whenever I hear this verse, I always think of the graphic images from Mel Gibson's movie, "The Passion of the Christ."  Taking up His cross was not an easy thing to do.  It was not pain-free or costless.  It required a sacrifice.  But Jesus loved the Father - and us - so much, that it was worth it.

It is worth it to you?  How badly do you want to get to know your Savior?  Do you love Him enough to spend time with Him, even when you don't want to?  Love is a verb, and true love always costs us something; are you willing to make that sacrifice?

Luke 9:23-26
 23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? 26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment