Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Best, not good enough

Today did not go at all how I though it would.  It went far, far better.

I was planning on eating dinner, studying for a while, going to my Bible study, and then going to bed.  What actually ended up happening was that after dinner, I went to the Bible study for just a few minutes, and then left early to help celebrate the birthday of one of the other ETAs, who turned 22 yesterday.  Then, afterwards, Sarah, who spearheaded the party, and is also a regular in the Bible study, asked me if I wanted to read the Bible together for a little while, since we missed the Bible study.

We ended up not just reading the Bible; we talked, and prayed, and shared, and connected in a way that I have not done with anyone since I got here.  Not only that, but I got to cheer up a great guy on his birthday, to boot!!  Something that Sarah said when we were talking and reading our Bibles really hit home for me.  She said, "God does not want us to have 'good enough.'  He wants us to have the best."

What a great thing to hear after the emotional roller coaster I've been on the past few days.  I was really looking forward to the group Bible study tonight.  I thought it would be what's best for me.  But it turns out, it was only "good enough."  God had other plans for me.  He knew that I needed to relax and make someone else happy at the party.  He knew that I needed a friend.  He knew that I needed someone to keep me accountable.  He gave me all of that, and more, because He wanted to give me the best, not simply good enough.

I would have been happy with my Plan A.  If I had never gone to the party, never talked and prayed with Sarah after, I would have never been the wiser.  But I have prayed that God would bless me, and He has promised to be faithful to us.  What blessings are you missing out on because you're holding on too tightly to good enough?  Let it go, let Him work; He wants to give you the best.


1 Peter 3:8-12
 8 Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For, “Whoever would love life and see good days must keep their tongue from evil and their lips from deceitful speech. 11 They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it.  12 For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

No comments:

Post a Comment