Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Our Fortress

I have a newly found respect for the Korean rainy season.  In all of my orientation materials, we were warned to bring clothes for the rainy season, which our orientation would be held right in the middle of.  But the first few days I was here, I honestly was wondering what the big deal was.  Sure, it rained at least every other day, and was often overcast when it wasn't raining, but it never rained really heavily, and it wasn't a big deal at all.

Well apparently, THAT is not the Korean rainy season.  Last night I experienced the real rainy season in all its fury.  I was awakened in the middle of the night by horrendous cracking and clanging noises, and the very walls of the building swaying and shuddering.  It was made even worse by the darkness - I could not tell that it was raining when I looked out the window.  I seriously thought that the building was about to collapse.  I kept waiting for an evacuation alarm to sound, to make sure that we all got safely away from whatever evil was trying to torment us.

It was not until this morning that I realized that the thing that had tormented me and terrified me all night, the thing that had frightened me and kept me awake....it was just rain.  It gave a whole new meaning to the Bible verses that describe Jesus as a strong tower, a refuge from the storms of this world.  He is the one that protects us from the withering heat, the steep mountain, and yes, the battering storms as well.  What a comfort to know that no matter what life throws your way....God is bigger.  He will not be broken down.  And, if you're hiding under His wings, neither will you.

Isaiah 24:4-5
4 You have been a refuge for the poor,
   a refuge for the needy in their distress,
a shelter from the storm
   and a shade from the heat.
For the breath of the ruthless
   is like a storm driving against a wall
 5 and like the heat of the desert.
You silence the uproar of foreigners;
   as heat is reduced by the shadow of a cloud,
   so the song of the ruthless is stilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment