Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, July 15, 2011

Seek first His Kingdom....

I'm currently sitting on the beach in a beautiful resort area of lovely South Korea.  The orientation coordinators wanted to give us a break after 2 weeks of grueling orientation, so they treated us to a weekend at the beach.  I've had alot of time for introspection, and my thoughts have turned to my future life, as they occasionally do.

When I got my acceptance letter for Fulbright Korea, I honestly was not really pleased to receive it.  I had a life all planned out in Atlanta that I loved and was excited about, and I really didn't want to uproot myself from all of that happiness and contentment.  So then, when I accepted the award, my thoughts went something like this: this was a great opportunity and it was where God wanted me, so I would put my life in Atlanta on pause, go to South Korea, do my teaching thing for a year, then come back and pick up the life that I wanted.

But I keep meeting ETAs who have decided to stay longer than originally planned - two, three, five, ten, even as much as 18 years after they first came to South Korea to teach English, they are still here.  So although I would not stay here an extra year unless I felt it was God's will for me, I am also starting to realize that my plan for my future may not end up looking anything like I plan it be.

But you know what else I know?  It's ok if my plan doesn't work out.  Because my Daddy knows the big plan, and He's charting my life for me, even as I sit here typing this.  He doesn't ask us to know everything; He simply asks us to trust Him and seek Him.  He'll take care of the rest.  And it probably won't look anything like you first imagined it....but it will be oh so much better.

Matthew 6:25-34
   25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
   28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment