Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Human Wisdom

It's amazing to me how right we can think we are sometimes, and how wrong we in reality are.  Today I learned the hard way just how fallacious human wisdom can be. 

As Christians, sometimes it's so easy to get puffed up with pride at how "good" you are.  You go to church every week, you're in a Bible study, you don't drink, you don't do drugs, you don't swear, you do all of the things that you're "supposed" to do.  And sometimes we start to get a "holier-than-thou" mentality.  Most people try to avoid that, but sometimes it can show up even subconsciously or unintentionally. 

I had a situation today where my best-laid intentions were seriously misconstrued.  The worst of it was, because it was something that I wrote, not something that I said, I wasn't even around to set the record straight.  By the time I heard about it, it had blown up in my face.  The biggest irony to me is that what was interpreted was not what was meant in the least.  But human wisdom is fallacious, and sometimes even our best intentions will fall flat.

That's why it's so important to seek His face, to gain His wisdom.  The fact that I hurt so many people - especially unknowingly - kills me.  That's something I'll have to live with for quite a while.  But the good news is that God gives His wisdom generously - all we have to do is ask.

But we also have to be willing to listen.  Despite our best efforts, we will still screw up sometimes.  And when we do, we must be willing to let others tell us that we've screwed up.  Listen to people when they point out your mistakes to you.  Don't be pig-headed and insist on your "right-ness."  People are always watching you, even when you don't realize it, judging your Savior by how He is reflected through you - in your successes AND your failures. 

James 1:5
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

Proverbs 13:10
Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.

Proverbs 14:8
Through presumption comes nothing but strife, But with those who receive counsel is wisdom.  

Proverbs 19:20
He whose ear listens to the life-giving reproof Will dwell among the wise.

Proverbs 29:11
Listen to counsel and accept discipline, That you may be wise the rest of your days.

Proverbs 29:15
A fool always loses his temper, But a wise man holds it back

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a hard-learned lesson, Lauren...

    Praying for you...

    <3, mom

    ReplyDelete