Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, June 3, 2011

God's recipe for contentment

It's so easy for us to forget how truly blessed we are.  We complain about the weather, our family, the fact that we can't afford all of the nice new things we want.  But we forget that there are people whose lives have been destroyed by the weather, whose families are dead or abusive, or who can't even afford to eat, let alone buy that new iPhone they've been eying. 

We truly are a blessed people.  "But," you say, "you don't know how badly I've got it."  That's true, I do not.  But you're alive and well enough to argue with me, and that right there is a blessing in itself.  I know a woman who is dying of brain cancer, and I've never heard her utter a word of complaint about her situation.  She's always smiling, always joyful, always praising the Lord and asking about your life, how she can help you.

That's the kind of contentment that a life with God should infuse.  I want to be so wrapped up in God, that the stuff of this world fades away....it shouldn't matter if I don't have a fancy car or a nice house, or even if my health is failing.  All that matters is that Jesus loves me, and I love him back.  Everything else is just icing on the cake.

But, on that topic, Jesus certainly does like alot of icing.  Sometimes, as my departure date for Korea marches steadily closer, I lament my acceptance of the scholarship, wishing I didn't have to go.  And then I slap myself, reminding myself what an incredible opportunity God has blessed me with.  Other times, like this week, which I've been spending visiting my grandparents in New York, my family annoys me to know end, and I find myself counting down the time until I can get away from them.  And then God gently chides me, reminding me of how blessed I am, in a world of abusive, neglectful, and broken families, to have one that loves me and helps me and provides for me.  They put up with all of my flaws...the least I can do is do the same for them! :)

Don't spend your life wondering what the grass is like on the other side, trying to keep up with the Jones, or wishing away this period of your life so that you can move on to the next one.  Every season has its ups and downs, and there is a time for everything.  Count your blessings, and learn to be content in the knowledge that the Creator of the universe loves you and IS looking out for you, even if it doesn't look like it.

John 1:16
From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.


Romans 15:29
I know that when I come to you, I will come in the full measure of the blessing of Christ.

Proverbs 10:22
The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it.


1 Peter 3:9
Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment