Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, June 24, 2011

Stories

My youngest brother is a voracious reader, much as I was when I was his age.  All day today, as we've been running around cleaning and sewing and doing errands, he's followed a few feet behind us, with his head in a book.  I completely understand his passion for reading.  Reading books is a poor man's airplane.  Those stories take you to other places, peoples, and sometimes even worlds.  Literature allows the average man, woman, boy, or girl to meet kings, talk with Pharaohs, work with spies, and party with rock stars.  It lets them time travel to the future, or visit the long-lost wonders of the ancient world.  It opens their minds to a whole new life, a whole new way of thinking.

Stories do not just stimulate our creative juices and imaginations.  They change us.  Daniel Taylor said that "We are all, in fact, the products of our stories." But stories are not just limited to classic fiction, or even history.  Jesus told stories, too.  In fact, every page of the Bible is a story.  And every page in the Bible has the power to change you, a little bit at a time, into the man or woman that you were called to be.

I heard this beautiful song at church the other day by Bellarive called Stories.  I wanted to share some of the lyrics here.  The best part about Jesus' story is that His story is true.  It is real.  And it truly does bring freedom.  I challenge you: get to know the King of Kings.  If you miss all of the others in the world, His story is one worth knowing. 

There are stories of a Man who walks on water
There are stories of a Man who washes all our shame away
The rumors go to say His words bring freedom
I believe it for my eyes have seen the King

There are stories of a Man who dines with angels
Could heaven come down to make room for the least of these?
 
The rumors go to say that He is the remedy  
I believe it for my eyes have seen the King



Matthew 13:34-35
34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment