Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, June 24, 2011

Life's little roaches

I've never been a squeamish girl.  Snakes, spiders, bugs, ants, whatever....they've never really bothered me.  I don't like them and we'll never be best friends, but I can handle them.  But one bug that I've never been able to handle is cockroaches.  Their beady little eyes, their squirmy little bodies, the way they splatter when you squish them....everything about cockroaches completely freaks me out.  I turn into a helpless, pathetic wuss every time I see them.  If I wasn't so terrified of them, my reaction might even be considered amusing because of the sheer disparity between the size of my problem and the fear of it.

Well last night, I was watching a movie in my house with a friend.  The movie had just ended, and we were just sitting around talking.  All of a sudden, in my peripheral vision, something caught my eye.  It was a roach.  Actually, not just a roach.  Not even two roaches.  Three cockroaches had invaded my living room.  And I was a wreck.  I alternated between whimpering in fear, nervously looking around me, and running out of the room while my friend bravely killed all of the offending intruders. 

I thought that I'd finally started to be at peace with going to Korea - and then I woke up this morning.  This is my last Friday in the States...and so begins my week of "lasts".  I always hate the last week, no matter where I'm going, and this week looks like it will be no exception.  I woke up with heart pounding and stomach flopping, thinking of nothing in the world other than that plane ride next Friday.

But then I realized....how different was that reaction to my reaction to the cockroaches in my living room last night?  Although my problems might be overwhelming and terrifying to me, to God they're no bigger than cockroaches.  So this morning, my heart doubly pounding both because it's my last Friday, and because of my terrifying encounter last night, I turned to God.  I cast my anxieties on Him, because I know that He cares for me.  Even if I'm being silly and freaked out over something as insignificant as a cockroach.

Proverbs 3:24
When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
   when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. 

Deuteronomy 33:12
  “Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him,
   for he shields him all day long,
   and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders.”

 Psalm 112:6-8
 6 Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever.
7 They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
8 Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear; in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.

No comments:

Post a Comment