Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

He's crazy about you!

I've been reading a book by John Piper called "Don't waste your life."  The basic premise of the book is just that: that we were meant to live lives wholly committed to serving God, and anything other than that is a wasted life.  At Bible study last night, we were talking about chapter 4, which is entitled "Risk is right - better to lose your life than to waste it."  One thing that we talked about last night was how God often waits for us to take a leap of faith before He'll show us more of the puzzle of our lives.

While that is most certainly undeniably true, I think that God also will send us more if we truly need it.  He is not interested in tormenting us just for fun.  Throughout the entire Bible study, I couldn't stop thinking about the big looming risk in my life - I leave for South Korea in just a little over a week.  And I was simply overwhelmed by what God has given me to encourage me in my decision to go, before I've even gotten there.

I can easily think of a dozen instances off the top of my head that God orchestrated to calm my worries.  One woman that I didn't even know who had taught in South Korea for several years contacted me and asked if she could help because she read an article about me in the local paper.  I was invited to a dinner of the Korean-American Friendship Society because the founder of the society just happened to also be a member of the Board of Trustees at my school and he invited me after he found out about my plans.  The dinner with the family I mentioned on June 18.  Even at the Bible study itself last night, people kept sharing stories of how God had blessed them when they took risks for Him, and it was just so encouraging to hear stories of people "on the other side."

God knew how much I needed encouragement before I left.  And so He gave me just that.  But I wonder how often He sends us encouragement, but we miss it.  We write it off as coincidence, or not really applicable, or unimportant.  But take it from someone in the throes of one of the biggest changes that anyone will ever go through - God is taking care of you.  He's crazy about you!  He wants nothing more than to bless you beyond belief, encourage you in everything, and grow you daily.  Stay in His word, and listen for Him speaking to you.  Don't miss what He wants to tell you and show you.  You have no idea how much you may really be missing.  It's so worth it to pay a little more attention and hear what He has to say.


Luke 12:22-31
 22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
   27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment