Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, June 17, 2011

Treasures

I have this really cool hat that sits in a place of honor on my bookshelf.  It's made completely out of paper, but yet can be formed into several different-shaped hats, depending on the wearer's preference.  My grandparents gave it to me years ago, and I treasure it.  Well yesterday, my little sister broke it.

After I got over the initial phase of anger and loss, and then made all of the requisite hugs and kisses and assurances that it was ok, that I still loved her, I started thinking about that hat.  Really, when it comes down to it, that hat is a curiosity, something to sit on the shelf and collect dust, nothing more.  In the many years that I've owned it, I've probably put it on my head maybe 3 times.

If I were to be honest with myself, my sister has gotten far more joy out of that hat than I have.  She plays with it, and stretches it, and puts it on her head - or sometimes her dolls' or brothers' heads - and all in all just has a ball.  And if I were to be even more honest with myself, when I die I will almost certainly not even remember that hat.

In fact, most of the things that we treasure now, we will not really care about them when we are on our deathbeds.  That's why Jesus says to "lay up for ourselves treasure in Heaven."  He knows that we have to have something to treasure, something to lay value in - that's how we were made. More importantly, He knows that where we put our value is where we place our hearts.  I challenge you today...start finding value in things that will last.  Invest in God's kingdom, and I promise you that your investment will not return void to you.


Matthew 6:19-21
    19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment