Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hospitality

I had dinner tonight with one of the most incredible families that I've ever met.  They are Americans, but lived as missionaries in Asia for 20 years - 12 years in South Korea, and 8 years in China.  We had a mutual friend who got us connected when she learned that I was heading to South Korea.  So last week, I got a call from them, inviting my entire family to dinner.  So we all went to a complete stranger's house for the evening.  And I was absolutely blown away by their hospitality and love for people.

Aside from one of the best meals I've ever had, they were full of stories and suggestions for living in Korea.  They gave me books, and dictionaries, and food, and contacts information of friends in Korea, and even a suitcase when they found out that mine was looking for a retirement home.  And apologized that they could not do more.  I left completely humbled and absolutely blown away by their love for others.  And they didn't even know us!!

The most astounding thing to me, however, is that she has been fighting brain cancer for years.  They came back from Asia after they found the second tumor.  But she never complains about it; never even mentions it unless someone asks her about it.  She is always looking for ways to serve other people, asking others how they are doing and what she can do to help them.

God has called us to serve others.  And tonight I realized just how far I have to go before I can really say that I do just that.  If I have even just a little cold, I don't want to help anyone else - I want to stay in bed and nurse my sickness.  But then this woman with brain cancer spends the entire evening cooking for and talking with and serving and entertaining six strangers.

South Korea is a very giving society - the way she put it tonight, "it's impossible to outgive Koreans."  So I pray that in this next year, God will teach me to be a little more like South Koreans.  I pray that I will learn to think of others more and of myself less.  I pray that I will put their needs and desires ahead of my own, and that God would grow and stretch and refine me, so that every day I will be a little more like Him.


Matthew 25:34-40
  34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
   37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
   40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment