Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Monday, May 2, 2011

Beginnings and endings

The month of May heralds many beginnings, and many endings as well.  It it the messenger that brings news of both the start of a new life, and the death of an old one.  I am on the verge of starting a brand-new life in Korea - but I am also leaving my home here in Rome.  Yesterday at church they prayed over me in Sunday School, and then gave me a farewell gift during the service.  And I couldn't stop crying.  A friend of mine assured me that it is ok to cry - although I have good things coming in my life, this is also a season of mourning.  I am leaving these people and places that I've grown to know and love, possibly forever, and definitely for a very long time.  The destruction of my campus kind of accentuates the finality of my departure from Berry - the campus where I've lived, worked, and laughed for the last 4 years of my life will never be the same again, and neither will my life.  It's very hard to swallow, very hard to accept that it's time to move on.  I love Berry - I love the classes, the students, the professors, the beauty, the clubs, my job, the sense of community...I love everything about Berry.  I feel the same way about my church, Cornerstone.  Seeing how the campus has pulled together these last few days in our time of need has only increased my love for it.  Quite frankly, I...don't...want...to...leave.  Equally frankly, nor do I want to go to Korea.  I know that that's where I'm meant to go, and I am going...but I don't want to.  The fear of the unknown is crippling me.

So reading in the thirteenth chapter of Hebrews today was a welcome relief.  Verses 5-6 say, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.  So we say with confidence, the LORD is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can mere mortals do to me?"  And a bit later, in verse 8, it assures me that "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  Whew!  What power the word of the LORD has!!  I haven't a clue what my future holds.  I am very certain that I will miss my past.  But I can rest in the knowledge that the same God who orchestrated my past also holds my future in His hands.  I may not know what will happen to me, but I know that God loves me and has good things planned for me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friend,
    Unlike Jonah, you go to where you are called despite not wanting to go. God will bless this. He knows your fear, and he knows your sadness, and he will certainly bless you for following his guidance nonetheless. I pray that your encounters in this new country are fruitful, and change you into a more heavenly being, change you to be even more like the Christ. I pray that God will bless the relationships that you make. That you will be a light showing God to the men and women who you meet. I pray that our enemy, the devil, will have no opportunity to interfere with you b/c your heart will be so closely entwined with Christ's. And I pray that you will come back to us safely so that I will be able to hug you again. :) I love you.
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete