Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Loving those you don't know

So it's easy for singles, myself included, to be flirty and mess around with people of the opposite sex.  "I'm not attached to anyone," we tell ourselves, "so it's just harmless fun, right?"  Wrong.  Isaiah 54:5 says that "the LORD Almighty is your husband."  Ya, but that's figurative, right?  That doesn't mean that we're supposed to act like we're married, even when we're single, does it??  Well, in a way, I think that it does.  I does not mean that guys should never talk to girls, or vice-versa.  But it does mean that we begin now to cultivate a lifestyle that will honor our spouse in our marriage. 

Fidelity does not spring up overnight.  How do we learn to love our husbands or wives with a Christ-like love?  Start loving them now.  Start living your life in a way that will honor them.  Filter your actions by what they would think if they saw you doing it.  For some, this may mean getting rid of some slinky or too-tight clothing.  For others, it may mean limiting the amount of time you spend with people of the opposite sex.  Some people connect with their future spouses by writing them periodic letters.  I have a promise ring that I've worn on my finger every day since my 16th birthday.  It is my promise to my husband, my promise that I will wait for him.

The thing we've got to understand is that, if you are a Christian, you are never single.  You are, at the very least, married to the Lord.  But the great thing about that is that, as the Author of love, He can teach us, His bride, to truly love sacrificially.  And then, when Mr. or Mrs. Right comes along, we will be prepared to love them the way they were meant to love, the way we were created to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment