Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Can I pray for you?

How many times have you heard someone say, "how can I pray for you?," or "I'm keeping you in my prayers!" or some other variation of that?  How many times have you said it?  I know I've said it countless times.  But how often does it really happen?

I was reading in Matthew 5 today, and was doubly convicted.  First of all, it is so easy to pray for our friends, to pray for Christians whose paths we cross.  But how often do we offer to pray for non-Christians?  How often do we ask our enemies how we can pray for them?  It's relatively easy for me to be a witness by example.  I don't drink, don't smoke, don't curse, try to exude Jesus through my actions, but when it comes to offering prayer to people I know don't believe in God, I am much more hesitant to do so.  "Christian" means "little Christ"; Christ did not skirt around the issue in His dealings with unbelievers, and neither should we.  That includes offering to pray for those whom you know don't share your beliefs.

Second of all, I was forced to ask myself, when I offer to pray for people do I really do it?  How often to we say, "oh yeah, I'll pray for you," and then forget about it as soon as we turn the corner?  I know I've been guilty of that on more than one occasion.  God says we should let our yes be yes and our no be no.  That means that when we say we're going to do something, we do it!  There is power in prayer.  So today, this is my prayer: I pray that God would give me the courage and conviction ask those in my life how I can pray for them - whether they be Christian or not - and that He would give me the diligence to follow through on those needs. 

Matthew 5:43-48

    43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I think those are the most important people to pray for--the ones who aren't Christians. That God would intervene in their lives would be a great prayer for the lost. You have such a keen sense for the things of God. Beautiful. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete