Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Friday, May 6, 2011

Spiritual blessings

Ephesians 1:3 says, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ."  When I look at my life, I am overwhelmed by the amount of physical blessings that I have.  I have an incredible life - family, friends, opportunities, and passion.  And then I think to myself...God's word says that this life is but a vapor (James 4:14).  So I can't help but wonder....if this physical life is so fleeting and ultimately insignificant in the grand scheme of things, then how much greater are His spiritual blessings that His physical ones!  That thought staggers my imagination.  Sometimes I can't imagine life getting any better.  But then I come to my senses and realize just how big, how unfathomable, how all-powerful God truly is.

I'm a C.S. Lewis nut, and I think that his series The Chronicles of Narnia illustrates this point very well.  Throughout the entire first seven books, the characters experience incredible adventures in some of the most amazing, beautiful places you could ever even conceive of, in a land called Narnia.  But then (spoiler warning!) in the last book the main characters die, and they go back to Narnia - but this time it's the REAL Narnia.  The colors are so much more vibrant, the scents so much sweeter, the sounds so much more beautiful than they were before.  C.S. Lewis was a strong Christian, and there are many who say that his representation of Narnia vs. the "real" Narnia is an illustration of earth and heaven.  So when you get a moment, stop and think.  Make a list of all of the physical blessings that God has so graciously given you.  And then praise Him all the more for the spiritual ones, which are so much more incredible than what we can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment