Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Make the most of every opportunity

I have heard over and over again, countless times, what a wonderful opportunity I have been given to be able to go to South Korea for a year.  And it's very true - I know that I am richly blessed.  I have also been told, equally frequently, that I should make the most of my time over there - make lots of friends, do lots of things, immerse myself in the culture and have a blast....this is likely not something that I'll be able to do again!

And again, that is true, and I intend to take advantage of the opportunities that come my way.  But when Christ tells us in Ephesians to make the most of every opportunity, I don't think that's what He meant.  We were made to make an eternal difference in His kingdom.  As a graduation gift, my brother interviewed all of my family and put it together in a little video.  In the interview with my mother, she says something that I find very poignant: "Although you've received alot of honors and accolades, if you hadn't done any of it, I'd still be proud of you... because you have a relationship with the Lord."  That, I believe, is what God wants us to keep in mind when we consider our opportunities.  We can scale Mount Everest, we can become the president of the United States of America, we can break all the records in the Olympic games....but if we don't filter our actions and decisions through the lens of eternity, they will, in the end, be worthless.


I don't want to be a "sleeper".  I don't want to live unwisely.  Although I know I have wonderful opportunities both in my past and future, the biggest ones are the ones that God will send me to further His kingdom, to develop a relationship with Him, and to tell others about Him.  I pray that I take advantage of every single opportunity.


Ephesians 5:14-16
   “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”  15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment