Intro

One girl's quest to step out of the boat and walk daily with her Savior

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Now what??

I graduated from college today.  It was all very surreal.  There was the early morning bustle to get the last of my things packed into the car, the class picture before the ceremony, the friendly teasing about the abnormally large amount of honor cords strung around my neck.  Then the pomp and circumstance...caps, gowns, regalia and speeches.  Baking in the sun under my fashion-backwards cap and gown, listening to the speakers and just waiting for my big moment.  Finally it was my turn, and I walked across the stage, hoping with all my might that I wouldn't trip while on stage, rehearsing in my head all of the instructions we'd been given - handshake low, diploma hand high, tassel goes from right to left, stop for the photographer.  I barely even heard the Provost speaking, but I'm pretty sure she got all of my information right.  After we filed out, I was bombarded by friends, went to lunch, strapped my bike to my car, and headed home.  And that's that.

The hardest part was the goodbyes.  So many of my dear friends were there today.  Caroline, who taught me to love life and introduced me to a whole new world - and even a bit of French while she was at it, too!  The thought of her wonderful little self being on the other side of the world from me almost breaks my heart.  Kerrie and Barry Touchstone, who opened their home to me every week this semester, and their hearts to me every day.  William Souder, my old boss who would and still will do almost anything for me.  The Leslies, who welcomed me into their lives like a daughter, and Rachel, who has become like a sister to me.  David Price, who never ceases to bring entertainment and laughter wherever he goes.  So many more people came to show their support for me - people that I love dearly, and will miss sorely.  The pain of so many goodbyes in one day almost breaks my heart in two.

And so now I'm here, wondering "what next?"  The wreckage of the past fours years of my life lies scattered around my room in boxes, bags, and suitcases.  The memory of my empty dorm room haunts me.  And the thought that it will likely be years, if ever, before I see these wonderful people, visit these wonderful places, see this wonderful campus again, is excruciating.  I'm in a fog, a daze.  I don't quite know how to move on, what I'm supposed to do now that this stage of my life has ended.  I do know, however, that "my God will meet all of my needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19).  But I think for now, that what I need is sleep.  That seems to be the only way to stop the tears.  Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment